Thread: How to Open PDF with JavaScript?

How to Open PDF with JavaScript?

I am very new to the JavaScript. I have given an assignment for opening the PDF. Since, I know very less about the JavaScript, even after trying for lot times I am unable to get the correct result. I want to open the PDF file using a standalone Javascript file. Can anyone tell me how to open PDF with JavaScript.?? Any other information related to the topic is warmly welcomed. Since, I am new please tell me the solutions in simple words.
    ~*~Silent~Kid~*~
    "To The World You May Be Just One Person, But To One Person You May Be The World"

Re: How to Open PDF with JavaScript?

Even I agree that it would be useful if you can open the PDF using the JavaScript. Instead of opening that PDF manually, it would be better to open that automatically. In simple I would like to say that opening documents such as PDFs in a new window should be automated using JavaScript because Opening a new window is a behavior and should be moved to the behavioral layer. You can use the JavaScript, because it is more useful when a website is content managed. You can open the PDF from JavaScript,rather than having to rely on site editors to remember to open a link to a PDF in a new window. This whole process can be handled by a simple JavaScript function.

If you want to open the PDF using the JavaScript, then you would have to create an event first. This event should occur when the page is loaded. I have provided you with the sample of the codes which would be helpful for you. The code you will have to type into the .js file. Here is the coding :
    Code:
    function addLoadEvent(func)
    {
    var onload1 = window.onload;
    if (typeof window.onload != 'function')
     { 
    window.onload = func;
     } 
    else
     { window.onload = function() 
         { 
           onload1(); func(); 
         } 
     } 
    }
    addLoadEvent(fNewPDFWindows);

It would be better if you create an empty function in your JavaScript file. I would recommend you to do the same. So create an empty function in your JavaScript file called fNewPDFWindows. Also first check to see if the command getElementsByTagName is available. By doing this you will be assured that there is no JavaScript errors with the script.
    Code:
    function fNewPDFWindows () 
    { 
    if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return false; 
    }
    After doing the first step, you will have to create an HTML object collection. Now this object can be of any links but must be within the page. For doing the same, you can write down the following code :
    Code:
    var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");

When I looked at the code mentioned by the 'Allan.d', I thought that if you do the looping that would be much better. So try to do that which can be more useful. First create the loop that goes through all the links in the page. You can do this by writing the code given down :

Code:
    function fNewPDFWindows () 
    { 
      if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return false; 
      var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a"); 
      for (var eleLink=0; eleLink < links.length; eleLink ++) { } 
    }
    Hope that this helps you.!!