Thread: Microsoft Access Vs. SQL Server

Microsoft Access Vs. SQL Server

I have done the C and C++ programming language. Now I have turned towards the Visual Basic. I have started doing some basic programs from last couple of weeks. But I am still confused while using the back-end. I don't know which is exactly better Microsoft Access or SQL Server. So anyone can tell me which should I select..!?? Please help me with proper suggestions.!!

Re: Microsoft Access Vs. SQL Server

I am comparing both the applications with respect to the Interface. When you keep the Interface in your mind then the Access interface is mainly for end users unfamiliar with more complex database interaction. When you look for the SQL server, you will feel that much complicated. Because the SQL Server does not offer the forms and drag-and-drop query creation that Access uses. Also you can create tables and the queries by manipulating icons and using wizards in Access. Whereas, the SQL Server only gives the user a command line interface.

Since you want to select the one of the application for the programming language, you should see the nature of the queries used for both the application. Queries in Access have some different keywords in the syntax compared to SQL Server. Lets take an example so that you can understand more properly, the Access uses an "If" Statement which is almost similar to the "CASE" statement in SQL Server. But the structure and the syntax used by both the applications are different. So I would like to suggest you to select only one language for further studies. Don't get mixed with both the applications.!!

When you compare the Access 2000 with the SQL Server 2000 you will get the following differences. I know that both are older version but many programmers start with the same versions. Access 2000 has many restrictions in comparison with SQL Server 2000 and cannot be used in the case you want to build stable. If you need to make a scalability, security, and robustness system, then I would suggest you should use SQL Server instead of Access. Also the security feature of SQL is much developed than the Access.
    "When they give you ruled paper, write the other way..." J.R.J.

you should also check the recovery feature of both. So that it can be useful while making the project. An Access file can only be recovered from corruption or data failure if the database was backed up to another drive. No automatic recovery can be done of Access. On the other hand, SQL Server supports automated backup procedures to a network drive or media disk. Also the Access does not use transaction logs whereas the SQL Server also allows programmers to rollback procedures using transaction logs.
    IF you hate me, please don't mention it. I know who hates me and who doesn't. You really do not have to make fun of people....