Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010

Regular Expressions in Java

Hello,
I want to recover all the string contained in a java program and even those who may be compose let me explain:
Code:
System.out.println ( "test" + "eesf" + "+ fdfdgd") and here ( "test" + "eesf" + "+ fdfdgd)
And
Code:
System.out.println ( "firstName:" + name.toString () + "lastName:" + new Object ()), and in this case ( "firstName:" + name.toString () + "lastName:" + new Object ())
I define a regular expression:
Code:
Matcher match = parser.find (line, "((\ "(.*) \ "(.*))+( \ \) | \ \) \ \ .)(.*))");
Basically I look at the departure presence of a quotation mark followed dune following character finally another quote. My question is how are regular expression handled in java. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010

Re: Regular Expressions in Java

Hello,
The problem seems to be that you use * that will consume as much character as possible so that the regexp is valid. Should you use *? was the place that consumes minimum possible to make valid regexp.
For example for the string: foo "foo" "foo",
- The regexp ".*" found "test" "foo"
- The regexp ".*?" found "test" and "foo"
Old 03-02-2010

Hello,
So I turn my expression to obtain:
parser.find = match (line, "(\ "(.*) \ "(.*?))+( \ \). | \ \)");
But I have an error now
("class"). append ((String) e.getKey ()). append ( "found in the following places.
Normally the result is expected.
("class") and then ( "Found in the following places.
I am totally confused here, any explanation will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2010

Hello,
Carefully reread my previous post is the explanation. You use a quote .* between everything to the last quote. I think you should try this expression. This will help you identify your mistake.
Code:
parser.find = match (line, "(\ "(.*?) \ "(.*?))+( \ \). | \ \)");
If you have any more problem then do post back and we will try to solve your queries.
Old 03-02-2010

Hello,
Thanks for your replies. I have used it in this way
Code:
parser.find = match (line, "(\ "(.*?) \ "(.*?))+( \ \). | \ \ );)");
But I have a problem in the same place:
Code:
For the phrase: ( "firstName:" + name.toString () + "lastName:" + new Object ());
the expected result is
Code:
firstName: "+ name.toString () +" lastName: "+ new Object ());
And it just gives me:
Code:
"firstName:" + name.toString ()
Any help on this.
Old 03-02-2010

Hello,
Your problem is that your second (.*?) is reluctant, it will try to take as little as possible and expand if necessary. So it vacommencer not taken in by the closing parenthesis of toString (). And without taking it as we get a match, it stops there. As regular expressions are not recursive in their definition, I do not think it is possible to use them for what you want to do. It would be easier to make parsing by hand line by managing yourself swinging the swing brackets.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,