Thread: Want to use GAC in asp.net

Want to use GAC in asp.net

Hello to all,
    I am new to this forum. Currently I am working on asp.net project. In that project I have to use GAC. But I don't know how to use it. Can anyone how to use GAC in asp.net. Please help me.
    Thanks in advanced.

Re: Want to use GAC in asp.net

Full form of GAC is Global Assembly Cache. It is used to store Assemblies that should be used by all applications. The Global Assembly Cache (GAC) allow you to share assemblies across numerous applications.
    For example,
    If all the applications are using assembly that is stored in Global Assembly Cache (GAC) then new version policy statement is automatically added to the Machine.configuration file for redirecting to the assembly.

Hey if you have to use GAC in your project then you have to first add any class DLLs files to the the .NET SDK using the Configuration Tool. After this you have to identified your correct GAC-based classes from your web.configuration file. To get more benefits from GAC you have to add only those class libraries which are you plan to reuse but do not maintained these libraries with your application directly.

You can use GAC in asp.net in following way.

Step1: First open Visual Studio 2005.
    Step2: Now create new Class Library project named GAC in Visual Basic 2005.
    step3: You can take help SN Tool to create library. It is very easy process.

After this you can view these DLL files using in newly created folder.

The Global Assembly Cache is commonly used to share assemblies across all applications on a web server. It is very difficult to use. As per my knowledge there is no use GAC in ASP.NET. We specially use GAC in .NET for holding information about whole assemblies. When you write class libraries in .NET which are going to be placed into the GAC, you have to add strong name to the assembly.