Thread: Control file error in oracle database

Control file error in oracle database

When I come to start my database,it occur some error regarding control file identification error while before some times when I had shut it down? I used the "Shut abort" command to shut down the database.It come up with this error when I start it.

SQL> Startup
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 1644167168 bytes
    Fixed Size 2030552 bytes
    Variable Size 1543504936 bytes
    Database Buffers 83886080 bytes
    Redo Buffers 14745600 bytes
    ORA-00205: error in identifying control file, check alert log for more info.
    Last edited by Gerri; 01-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.

Existence of Control file in oracle database

The control file is just like the brain of database which controls and takes care of all the activities that is happening with the database. If any error is getting generated in the control file, the database would be stopped .

When you start your database,the control file checks all the physical configuration of database,if the configuration is missed due to some reason.The database wouldn't star. The size of the control file is based upon their initialization parameters that is defined in parameter file.

Creating control file for database

When we create the database, the control file automatically created and each database requires at least one control file to proper management of database.You should have two or more than two copies of control file on different locations.

According to me,A script should be created to rebuild your control file.The control file rebuild script should be recreated after any validation or structural changes of database.

The command CREATE CONTROLFILE is being used to create a manually copy of control file and another way to use ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE command to generate a script which can be used to create the control file for later use.

Resolving Control file error of oracle database

When you start your database,you are getting some error like " Error in identifying control file" that means your control file has been crashed due to some error.

In this case,you need to have another backup copy of control file on different disk location. As you know the procedure to backup the control file, there are two ways to restore the control file back.

You need to restore it from backup location using complete recovery and another one, executing the script to create the new control file.

recovering Control file from backup

You can recover your control file back using this procedure :

1. Shut down your database using "SHUT IMMEDIATE"

2. Copy the file from backup and paste it,where your control file was infected .

3. Rename the file with the name of corrupted file.

4. Start your database using SQL>STARTUP
    Last edited by Modifier; 01-02-2010 at 08:50 PM.