Thread: Object Based Language VS Object Oriented Language

Object Based Language VS Object Oriented Language

I am intermediate programmer in the up-growing programming world. Right i am learning the programming language: C sharp, C++, Java, SQL, Visual Basic 6 and HTML. Actually i want know what is difference between the object oriented language and object based language And which mostly used and popular in the market right now? Please help me.

re: Object Based Language VS Object Oriented Language

Very good question ask by you.I think the main difference between object-based and object-oriented language is that the language which will have the concepts of inheritance and dynamic binding is called as object-oriented(OOP) and the language which doesn't support this two concepts (i.e inheritance and dynamic binding) is known object based language(OBP). And think so object oriented language are stronger compare to object based language. Hope your problem get fix.
    Last edited by Modifier; 29-01-2010 at 12:38 PM.

I think the actual difference between object oriented and object based languages is that object based languages does not support the inheritance mechanism, and on the other side, the object oriented supports the inheritance mechanism. C sharp, Java, C++,etc are the object oriented language and Asp.net, Visual Basic, etc are the object based language. Hope you will understand the OOP(object oriented ) and OBP(object based) term.

Object Base language: In this language, we cannot use subtype or inheritance. In other words, you could not create a hierarchy of classes. Although in your code, you could create objects of classes. Example: Visual Basic, Asp.net, etc.
    Object Oriented language: In this language, we can use subtypes and inheritance. In other words, you can create hierarchy of classes. is called object oriented. Example: VB.net, Java, C sharp,etc

I would say that object based programming does not provide the important 2 features of object oriented language and they(features) are inheritance and polymorphism. Object Based language use pre-defined objects and example are Visual Basic, etc and Object Oriented languages can define objects and example are C sharp, Java, C++, etc. This difference should be known by every programmer. Hope your problem would be solved.

I would personally say that Object Based Programming mainly refers to objects without inheritance and polymorphism, and this languages support abstract data types and not classes. The language that provide inheritance and polymorphism mechanism is known as Object Oriented Language. And i think right now in market, Object Oriented Language are more powerful compare to Object Based. Hope your problem get fix.