Thread: What is the difference between Iterator and Enumeration in Java?

What is the difference between Iterator and Enumeration in Java?

I am intermediate programmer in the programming world. Currently i am learning the programming language like Core Java, C++, C sharp, .NET and DBMS. I have got a mini project to develop in JAVA and one of its goal is to use the enumeration or iterator, but i don't know what is enumeration and iterator and what is the difference between them? Please help me in making mini my project.

Re: What is the difference between Iterator and Enumeration in Java?

Good question ask, programmer mostly gets confused between the enumeration and iterator. The Enumeration(enums) is use for the iterating over a given collection and usually of unknown size. The Iterator also has the similar or same purpose but enumeration do not allow modification of the collection, whereas by using the Iterator we can achieve it. Enumeration deals with objects while iteration deals with values only. Hope your problem will be solved.

One of the major difference between the enumeration and iterator is that the iterator is a fail-safe. According to me, the enumeration and iterator is mainly use to count the number of elements and view it. But also note that iterator comes with the additional method for deleting elements. Enumeration and Iterator are interfaces in java.util package. Enumeration are old interface, whereas Iterator are new interface. Hope your problem is fix.

I personally think the Enumerator and Iterator are almost similar to each other. The advantage to Iterator is presence one extra method called remove and iterator is part of the new collection class. Enumeration works with objects while iteration works with values only. Enumeration is mainly use whenever we use vector hashtable( legacy classes), whereas iteration are used in while loop for loop etc. Hope your problem will be fix.

The major difference is that enumeration(enum) was the old interface and the iterator is the new interface belonging to the Collection framework which was introduced by JDK 1.2. The functionality of this interface (Enumeration) is duplicated by the Iterator interface. In addition, Iterator adds an optional remove operation. Hope your problem will be solved.