Thread: Compare Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Web Developer Express

Compare Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Web Developer Express

Actually I normally work on the visual web developer express for designing web site asp.net. Some time the same work can be done on Visual studio. I want to know the difference between the Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Web Developer Express or what are similarities between the two. I need to know this because if my complete work can be done with the visual web developer than is there any need for buying the whole package of Visual Studio 2010.

Re: Visual Web Developer Express is a part of Visual Studio 2010

As per my knowledge Visual Web developer 2010 is part of the Visual Studio 2010. Well Visual Studio 2010 is complete set which is designed for development web application, windows application, windows services, components, controls and other types of applications. Now if we consider the Visual Web Developer Express 2010 provides tools only for the development of websites or web applications. If your main work comprises of only developing the websites or the web application then you can definitely go for the Visual Web developer express edition.

Re: Compare Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Web Developer Express

Thank for your wonderful reply. Now I got the clear idea about the Visual Web Developer Express edition. If I want to develop only the websites or the web application then I can do this only with the help of Visual Web Developer Express edition. But I also want to know, what are the related features of this Visual Studio 2010, so that if I am planning to go for Visual Studio 2010 then I must have the clear idea about it.

Re: Features of Visual Studio 2010

There are number of features of Visual Studio 2010 but I will like mention a few of them. Visual Studio 2010 comes with the SQL Server Compact Edition. SQL Server Compact Edition comes for free with the pack of Visual Studio 2010. SQL Server Compact Edition is a database engine which provides the developer an ability to build robust Windows desktop and mobile phone application that can run on all windows operating system whether it is Windows XP, vista, Pocket PC or the smart phone.

Windows Presentation Foundation is also a strong feature of visual Studio 2010. Windows Presentation Foundation provides the developers a unified programming model for designing rich windows client application. I cannot forget to talk about Web control library template that gives the developers an opportunity to use the custom web server controls. The templates are used for adding the project items that are required for creating a control which can be added to any web project.

I think if we forget to mention the ASP.NET Crystal Reports then it will be a incomplete description. ASP.NET Crystal Reports is a reporting tool which comes as a part of visual Studio. This ASP.NET Crystal Reports allows the user to create interactive and presentation quality content. Coding utilities are provided with this Visual Studio 2010. This also includes a utility for converting the visual Basic 6.0 projects to the visual studio projects in Visual Studio 2010.