Thread: Dedicated Vs. Shared Server in Database

Dedicated Vs. Shared Server in Database

My programmer told me that I need a dedicated server with an oracle application on it and full access to it.How could I setup it. Hello ! Can you tell me the difference between dedicated and shared server , Is it for security purpose or anything else.Please suggest me .

Dedicated Server in Database

Dedicated Server Process
    Database creates a server process which handles the request of user process and connected to database instance.It is divided into parts and one of the type is dedicated server.
    Dedicated server handles the request of a single user at a time and another user process will wait till it completes the request and send back to the requested user.

Only two conditions are there in which user and database administrator connect to a instance in dedicated server mode.

1. To submitting a batch job
    2. To use RMAN when the administrator requires backup,restore and recovery.

Shared Server in Database

Shared Server

When a database is manipulated in shared server mode then dispatcher comes into feature.Shared server process manipulate a number of processes which is requested by user.

When a user makes a request to fetch the record from database and its running in shared server environment,The request is taken by listener process and allocate to dispatcher and dispatcher constructs a queue of request and each request is treated as a circuit in database language and each circuit is manipulated by server process and committed requests are passed from second way of dispatcher to the user.

Dedicated Vs. Shared Server in Database

If you have created the database already and your database is running but you don't know in which mode the database is running, just enter:

SQL> Show parameter;

and search the parameter for your database environment.To change the mode of your database,you can configure it using DBCA (Database Configuration Assistance).

1. Type DBCA in your terminal.
    2. A wizard will open and the ask to you for configuration of your database and select your database name.
    3. Set the parameter as your requirements.
    Last edited by kelfro; 27-01-2010 at 10:31 AM.