Thread: Use of delegates in C sharp

Use of delegates in C sharp

Hello friends,

I am IT student, and I want to share my query with you about the C sharp programming. I am not able to understand the use of delegates in C sharp programming language. The concept of delegates are quit tough to understand, as it's very complicated concept. If anyone has the sound knowledge about the C sharp delegates then please let me know the use of delegates in C sharp. I am waiting for your reply.

Re: Use of delegates in C sharp

Delegates in C # are equivalent to function pointers in C / C + + but also secure (type-safe). Simplifying, one can say that a delegate is a pointer to a method but is much more than that. The mechanism that delegates use easily handles the asynchronous treatment but also offers other advantages. A delegate is an intermediary between a transmitter and a receiver, it allows to establish a contract between them. It is a means of communication between objects that do not necessarily know. Delegates are used in the environment.

The concept of delegate could be compared to that interface because an interface is a contract between classes except that a delegate does his contract with a method and not a class. What is the contract of a delegate? It is during the reporting thereof to completely specify a method's parameters, their number, type and return type of method. A delegate actually stores the address of a method that is contained in some other class. So, a C sharp delegate is really the equivalent of a function pointer in C++. However, they are also far more than that.

Hi,

C sharp delegates used in the following conditions:
    • It is desirable to encapsulate a static method.
    • On the object that implements the method.
    • Ease of composition is desired.
    • A class may need several implementations of the method.
    • The caller does not need access to other properties, methods or interfaces
    • A model of event design is used.

Delegates are extremely useful in multithreading and cross-thread operations. The delegates and interfaces allows designer of class to separate type declarations and implementation. A Delegate can be created for a method of any class, as the method fits the method signature for the delegate. Delegates are used to ensure that developers write code to handle certain features without knowing or needing to understand the original underlying code.

Hi friends,

The use of delegates is to create classes, user controls or components independent of each other (known to weak coupling), which facilitates code reuse and all that follows: maintenance, development & publication. Using a delegate needs to declare a variable of the delegate type to use.Delegates & function pointers are used to ensure that developers write code to handle certain features without knowing or needing to understand the original underlying code.