Thread: Oracle Vs. SQLServer 2000

Oracle Vs. SQLServer 2000

I am very confused to choose the DBMS , Oracle and SQLServer, both are databases and which one is reliable to use,could you differentiate it with explanation.I have my computer which is Pentium-3 with 128MB of RAM. Can I use Oracle 9i on this system. I really want know about configuration of computer system for installation of SQLServer 2000.

Platform comparison of Oracle and SQLServer 2000

SQL Server 2000 can run only on Windows-based platforms i.e. Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows CE. Where as Oracle 9i is able to execute on any platform i.e. Windows-based platforms, AIX-Based Systems, Compaq Tru64 UNIX, HP 9000 Series HP-UX, Linux Intel and Sun Solaris so on.

Hardware requirements:

for installation of SQLServer 2000,you need to have the Intel or compatible platforms and the following hardware:

Processor Pentium 166 MHz or higher
    Memory 128 MB RAM or more recommended
    Hard disk
    Space 270 MB up to full installation

For installation of Oracle 9i database,you need to have these hardware under Intel and compatible platform :

Processor - Pentium 166 MHz or higher
    Memory - RAM: 128 MB (256 MB recommended)

Hard disk
    Space -

140 MB on the System Drive and need some more space according to your hard disk partition

Software requirement:

SQL Server 2000 evolved in six editions: Enterprise, Standard, Personal, Developer, Desktop Engine, and SQL Server CE (initially for Windows CE).
    SQLServer runs with every pack of windows series except some but it depends on your selected version.

On other hand oracle 9i can run on different platform described at top and it comes with 3 editions : Enterprise,Standard and Personal with required patches.

Re: Oracle Vs. SQLServer 2000

It's really difficult to measure the performance comparison between SQL Server 2000 and Oracle 9i Database. The performance of your database is measured by the experience of the database application developers and database administrator,there are less chance to measure the performance from the database provider.
    The Transaction Processing Performance Council is an organization that specifies the typical transactions involved in inventory management systems, Airlines reservation systems and bank transaction systems.
    According to rule of this organization,it measure the performance the database behalf of how many transaction happened in per minute or per second.To know more about this organization TPC.org
    Last edited by Reegan; 25-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Coparison of Oracle 9i Vs. SQLServer 2000

The features of both database is different regarding creation,management and performance.You can't say the SQLServer is not better than Oracle 9i or vice versa.

Some features are described here just go through this-
    SQLServer Advantages:
    1. SQLServer is much cheaper than Oracle 9i Database.
    2. SQL Server catches the top TPC-C performance and price,performance
    3. It is easier to install rather than Oracle 9i.

Oracle 9i Advantages:
    1. Oracle Database is compatible with all known platforms, it identifies not only Windows-X series.
    2. PL/SQL is much powerful language than T-SQL.
    3. Using startup parameters,DBA and developer can perform fine-tunning and perform database configuration