Thread: Detect encoding of a file

Detect encoding of a file

Hello,
    I was just trying some of the examples in java.io that is input and output programs and I am interested in this input output package. I had a question for you guys can I detect encoding of a file or a stream. Is this possible? and if it is then how. What should be required data I should gather for this purpose.

Re: Detect encoding of a file

Hey,
    Some days before I had done a method for an MIME type, that is I had downloaded it from the internet, but I have not tested it. But I think you require java EE version for that. If I am not wrong you will require the different types of MIME types. If you want more information on this you can visit the java's official site and you can find it there. Hope this will help you.

Hello,
    It only remains to determine the encoding and it will be perfect. Is there any method for encoding the files in java. I have no idea about the methods in the java.io package, where can I find the all the methods of the java.io package? If you have any information about the methods that in the java.io package, then please post back or you can just pass a link where the methods of java.io package can be found.

Hello,
    I was trying for the same program, and I had installed the JMimeMagic and it worked quite well. I come now to determine the MIME type of files, I think I should be able to do with RSS (I have not implemented yet but it seems that JMimeMagic be able to do so). Now I must determine the encoding. Am I correct with this concept, though I am not getting the desired results.

Hello,
    My question can seem silly. Can I do this in JSP? and I do not know exactly where is the role of java in your event site? I am very new to java, but if this can be done in java, then java really interesting. If you can provide some more information on this it will be highly appreciated. Now, even I am interested in learning java. Thank you.

Hello,
    I think Java servlet is the one that retrieves all requests (url-pattern = /). It lists the directory contents and create an XML document (that you can see By clicking on "Show XML" in the menu at top left). This document is then converted to XHTML + CSS + JavaScript using a stylesheet. There is also a servlet that retrieves the query, get it serves to provide the icons. Thumbnails are requested with a parameter passed directly to another servlet.