Thread: Database Normalization in SQL Database

Database Normalization in SQL Database

I am normal programming(beginner) in the programming world. I am learning the programming language like C++, Core Java, SQL, DBMS, PHP and C sharp. Right now, i am making one mine project, using Java as front end and SQL as backend. One of friend told m you need to do database normalization of your database, to run project error free. I don't what does database normalization and how to do it? Please help me.

Re: Database Normalization in SQL Database

Yes, database normalization is necessary for any database. This(database normalization) concept is not unique to any particular Relational
    Database Management System. They can be used on any of implications
    of relational databases including MS Access, dBase, Oracle, etc. The
    benefits of Normalizing your database include:
    1] It will increase the speed and flexibility of sorts, queries,and summaries
    2] It will avoid repetitive entries in the database.
    3] It will reduce required storage space.

The database created in any software should be normalized. I think the database normalization can essentially be define as a practice of optimizing table structures. Through database normalization we can prevent the need to restructure existing tables to accommodate new data. The optimization is achieved as the result of thorough investigation of the numbers of pieces/types of data which will be stored within the database, in particular concentrating upon how this data is interrelated.

According to me, the normalization is considered as the process of efficiently organizing data in a particular database. There is 2 goals of the database normalization process:
    ->Eliminating redundant data. (i.e. avoiding the storing of the same data in more than one table).
    ->Making sure that data dependencies make sense (i.e storing only data which are related in a table).
    Both of these are worthy goals as they reduce the amount of space a database consumes and ensure that data is logically stored.

Good question ask, this is very important for everyone using the huge/large database in their project. The SQL-based query applications will work best with the help of normalized databases. In simple words, it is easier to make English Query applications against normalized SQL databases. In addition, the result of the applications are more flexible and powerful compare to which developed against databases that are not normalized.

I think all the database applications will work best/excellent with the help normalized databases. Database normalization can essentially be defined as the practice of optimizing table structures. Through normalization, the result of the applications are much more flexible and powerful in comparison to the developed against databases that are not normalized. It also increase speed and flexibility of queries, sorts, and summaries.It is also possible to 'over normalize' a database which can make will make it difficult to adapt it to changing requirements.