Thread: Getting "Error 156" while execution of query

Getting "Error 156" while execution of query

Hello friends,

I am getting frustrated because of one SQL error while execution of query. I am trying to run following query:
    SELECT bookNo, BookName, BookPrice FROM
    BookDemo WHER bookNo='003'
    Whenever I try to execute this query I get 'Error 156' telling "Incorrect syntax near the keyword '%.*ls'". I am not getting what's wrong with this query. Please help to sort out this SQL error. I would appreciate you help.

Re: Getting "Error 156" while execution of query

"Error 156" tells that the syntax of a SQL statement is invalid and which detects the syntax error near the keyword specified in the error message. One of the more complicated causes for this error may be a compatibility level mismatch for the current database. The most frequent causes for syntax errors are misspellings of Transact-SQL keywords or operators, and specifying the syntax of a Transact-SQL statement in the wrong order.

Hi friend,

This 'Error 156' error occurs only when you use incorrect syntax in SQL query. The which you have mentioned contains one syntax error near "WHERE" clause. You need to make changes in this clause to avoid this error. You have written "WHERE" clause as "WHER", i.e one character is missing from this clause and which makes it invalid. I suggest you to try following query:
    SELECT bookNo, BookName, BookPrice FROM
    BookDemo WHERE bookNo='003'

Hi,

I recommend you to check the Transact-SQL statement syntax. You should also reexamine the entire SQL query statement that causes the error. As SQL query syntax may be very complex, SQL Server may incorrectly report the position of the syntax error as later in the Transact-SQL statement than it actually occurred. Second, Verify the syntax order of the statement. I hope this may solve you problem.

Hello friend,

I suggest you to do following things to troubleshoot "Error 156":
    • Check the name of the column are correct.
    • Make sure that the you are suing correct syntax of the "SQL" clause.
    • Check the table name as well as the condition term.

One of the more complicated causes for 'Error 156' error may be a compatibility level mismatch for the current database. This error indicates that the syntax of a Transact-SQL statement is incorrect and that the syntax error was detected near the keyword specified in the error message. The most frequent causes for syntax errors are misspellings of Transact-SQL keywords or operators, and specifying the syntax of a Transact-SQL statement in the wrong order.