Thread: CSV file from a string

CSV file from a string

Hello,
    I made a program to retrieve data from another program and would like to store the data in a specified CSV file, the data that I would like to store will be some thing like this
    Timestamp: 2009-01-27 Sensor number: 2 Temperature: 20.56 ° C
    Humidity: 68.84%
    So I separate the data by commas (CSV) that gives me the result, but I do not know how to distinguish the spaces. If someone can help me.

Re: CSV file from a string

Hello,
    You can have this option available for you, check whenever the value inserted does not contain commas (if you replace with a dot, this is an example), which would give some thing like this "68.84" instead of "68.84", and therefore there are more worries for you. The spaces do not arise because of problems with the CSV file.

Hi,
    The above is correct, you will have those problems if you are going to use the above option, I have another alternative for you, try if it works with you, change the separator character, that is instead of the comma you can replace the separate character, you choose this as the character ";" and then tab (which is "\ t") By using this you will not be confused with the spaces in the file. I hope I have correctly answered your question.

Hey
    Yes, this answers my question, but a small thing, I have another question for you, how to delete a string within a String? and to change a character by another? I was trying to replace the character places order, but that logic did not worked very well, do you have any other alternative for this? If I get an alternative for this, then my half of the code is done.

Hi,
    If you want to replace one character by another, for example "," to "." you do it in this way
    Code:
    exstr = exstr.replace(',', '.');
    If you want to replace several characters, such as "hihi" to "foo", you do it in this way
    Code:
    exstr = exstr.replaceAll("hihi, "foo");
    hope these methods help you in your code. If you have any more queries with this topic then you can ask it and we will try to answer them.

Hi,
    If you want simple replacements, that is to say without using regular expressions. You say that the functions do not work, but in my opinion, you have done this
    Code:
    exstr.replace(',', '.');
    that does not works, since a String can not be changed and therefore the methods that perform operations on a String and returns 1, so it does not changes the given parameter.