Thread: Suggestions on technology choice for project

Suggestions on technology choice for project

I am a beginner (level training) in programming in vb.net and I am conducting a project involving the creation of a management program for individuals.

1. Adding a person in database
    2. Statistics and occupancy of a place ...

Already, I am faced with a dilemma first, the association for which I am leading this project does not have a server. Then the possibility of hosting the database on a centralized server.

What to do? Which is the best option for my project in your opinion?

1. turn a PC into a server, and only it can run the application
    2. rent a shared mysql server on the Internet

Second choice, the BDD.

1. mysql [advantage: free] [inconvenient no connector under VS2010]
    2. SQL Server [Microsoft logically facilitated communication between VS and SQLServer]

Finally 3rd choice: the development environment:

1. VS 2008
    2. VS 2010 beta 2 [because I saw new tools such as charts that would fit perfectly for statistics and occupancy rates]

Re: Suggestions on technology choice for project

If it is to make windows forms, vs2010 will bring nothing (the charts windows forms is available on the Microsoft site). If it is to make the WPF, the 2010 can be useful, but given the instability of beta it will take a little longer I think.

Then if the application should be used on one computer, no server needed (and need not RDBMS not too full)

Whether the application should be used by several positions, which requires a data server, a remote mysql access could then be the case but in general the accommodation to php + mysql with the database accessible only from the server ...

SQL Server 2008 Express is free. The charts are also available with Framework 3.5 (and VS 2008) but in a separate download (always free). We need more info on your application, use, users, environment, etc.. so that we can better know everything.

Need more details on your working environment.

You make a choice that I do not understand the utility:
    1. turn a PC into a server, and only it can run the application
    2. rent a shared mysql server on the Internet
    I do not agree on this, because if your program is used on multiple machines, you can not work on mysql database, however remote. Why? Simply because it is less secure, then imagine if you have no internet, people will remain inoperative until the recovery of the line (so it is not feasible).

For a program on the network, mostly use SQL Server and avoid mysql.
    For a program running on one machine, not SQL Server or MySQL (tested with access now and then). Why? security issues (a program of this type is never secure).

Used VS2008 it is complete. If you really want to use mysql, connectors exist, I put the attached file to add.

the 2010 can be useful, but given the instability of beta it will take a little longer I think.
    Provided it is beautiful and there are plenty of facilities in the environment, as if it was not the reflex save every 20s while we take the risk of a crash the entire IDE and lose everything we have able to work just as before.
    You can try it if you're brave but we must be aware of the likelihood of crashes quite large with this Beta (unfortunately ...).