Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 22-01-2010

Write to the middle of a file

Hello,
I write to a file that already contains data. No crush there after, I would write my data as a string after the 10th character in my file. This is not quite useful for me and my program. I just use methods between FileOutputStream and others. So, if you guys know any other methods then you can help me. In brief I want the write to the middle of the file. Thank you in advance.
Old 22-01-2010

Re: Write to the middle of a file

Hi,
There's a simple solution that is a copy in another file front lines, adds new lines to write at the end of the first file. Or load all of your lines in the memory and rewrite your files from A to Z, that is the write the full file again. What is sure is that it works, but it can not be better that that, i think so. May be there are some other solutions for this, i have no idea about the others, but this works.
Old 22-01-2010

Hello,
You have the choise to use the method used by the above posted, but it is not very optimized and that may take some time if the file is quite large. If you normally use FileChannel class that will allow you to do that. I think you should search the maps in java and you should find one method for that. But I think the FileChannel method is an efficient choice here, that is for your program.
Old 22-01-2010

Hello,
But I do not think mapped file are not in itself a solution. Unless something we can not escape me no more "insert" data into a file that is mapped to a file on the hard drive? The mapped file could speed the processing of large files, but apart from that the methods could be employed are no better to use or easier to implement than solutions for a file on the hard disk.
Old 22-01-2010

Hi,
Yes I am with the above post, here are some of the alternatives to that
- pass through an intermediate file (very simple, not necessarily very fast, especially for an insertion end of file)
- read the entire file into memory (eg StringBuffer()) and then overwrite it with new data (the simplest and slowest),
- Open file read-write and use a buffer to copy the end of the file by small bits after the inserted data" (probably the fastest with a suitable buffer size, but heavy enough to put in place).
Old 22-01-2010

Hello
Even I believe somewhat to the above post. The above posted alternative can be a good choice for you. Possibly you have the RandomAccessFile this can do the trick for you. Have you ever tried using the RandomAccessFile? If not then please try because if has many methods and they all are useful and I feel they can fit your need, for your program.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,