Thread: What are MySQL Storage Engines

What are MySQL Storage Engines

Hi, i am a Windows Vista user but am new in programming or MY SQL. Yesterday, somewhere i heard about MySQL Storage Engines. Well, i know little bit about MySQL , but what is meant by MySQL Storage Engines ?

Could you guys please give me some important info about the same ? This will really help me lot. I appreciate all your helps.

Re: What are MySQL Storage Engines

The MySQL database has a special relation to databases present in the market. This specificity is the ability to associate each table with a storage engine providing functions such as transactions, indexing, algorithms. By default, the search engine available is MyISAM. This engine is not likely to be deleted by the DBA. For cons, the DBA can add a storage engine with command "Install plugin StockageName. command "Uninstall Plugin" eliminates the same engine.

MyISAM is based on ISAM but it does not support transactions. The following command allows to specify exlicitement creating a MyISAM table. MySQL default, the default table is myisam
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE t (i INT) ENGINE = MyISAM;
    The InnoDB is a major storage engines and the engine is most used. It is the leading transactional storage engines. InnoDB incorporates several features such as replication, stored procedures, triggers and views. The following command creates a table to InnoDB:
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE TableName (Field1 Int, Int Field2) TYPE = InnoDB;

he MySQL Server is unique among database management systems in that it offers the ability to use many different types of database engines via its storage engine architecture. Not only are these engines developed by MySQL/Sun, but a number come from MySQL partners and ISV's as well. The end result is a very flexible and innovative environment that offers many benefits including higher performance and more efficient usage of hardware resources.

Because the different storage engines have distinct characteristics and use cases where they excel, questions sometimes arise as to which storage engine(s) are best for various types of application scenarios. This paper compares and contrasts in detail all the current internal and external storage engines so MySQL professionals will have a better understanding of the different features of each engine and when to employ the different engines in their database architectures

If you need to store data temporarily, the motor memory can be used. The table data memory are stored in memory. In case of clash or restart the server, the data will be lost. The following command creates a table format Memory:
    CREATE TABLE TableName (Field1 Int, Int Field2) ENGINE = MEMORY;

Where is your need to manage multiple tables historical identical or distribute a large table, reading alone in different parts of the disc. Using a MERGE table is strongly recommended.

Every storage engine of MySQL is completely different, designed to address a unique application need. MySQL supports several storage engines that act as handlers for different table types. MySQL storage engines include both those that handle transaction-safe tables and those that handle nontransaction-safe tables. If you need to optimize the storage of information, it will use the archive engine. Be careful with this engine, it is impossible to update the online table. If you are interested in this engine, when setting compile MySQL, the next option enables the engine
    - with-archive-storage-engine