Thread: Java - connect to remote computer

Java - connect to remote computer

Hello,
    I must make an application that manages appointments. With XML, would be simple. But the problem is that 2 computer using the same agenda. Can I access to read and write in a xml file located on a remote computer if it has its ip? Otherwise I will use a database and may be a web server, I install the least possible for the facility. I can use the xml or require to go through a database?
    I must put up a web server to access the file or database or only the IP address is enough? If I must use a database, I know mysql but is it possible to use an embedded database? Thank you in advance.

Re: Java - connect to remote computer

Hello,
    To write to a remote computer requires that the computer has a small application "server" when you send messages and who will handle the job. The "client" sends a message, the "server" receives the message and performs the action on the file. Then you can use sockets for example, or the API that simplifies communications between several file. Otherwise, the use of a database seems to be a simpler and certainly more reliable.

Hello,
    So I must create a small server in Java that will run queries sent by a client program. But SELECT query, this small server may MADE any type of object or just string? In this case it is all is the same, I hope so. Which database can I use, that is easy to implement? I know mysql but it's heavy to install. The problem is that, I do not know how to retrieve query SELECT.

Hello,
    You are saying that Mysql heavy? But I do not think it is a heavy software or database. Rather than Oracle I will recommend you to use Mysql. Otherwise, if you want to design a single server where everything is written in java you can always try the serialization is fairly easy to implement and secure. I think you should go with the second option, it is easy and you can do it in no time.

Hi,
    If you have two instances of your application that work on the same agenda, the communications network is not the only problem. Pay attention also to the problems of concurrency (eg if your two bodies want to make an appointment in the same slot in some application). DBMSs provide transaction mechanisms that can help you with problem. I will highly recommend you to go with the database, because it provides many functions.

Hi,
    You just have to go through a server application. If you want to do a nice thing, you can also this kind of problem which can be managed all the requests forwarded by your client servlet. Then you can choose to either do the processing on a database, installed on the server, and it is the server that connects to it. Either handle this with a XML file, and is still dealing application server to make updates from streams sent by the client.