Thread: What is the purpose of Bound Checking in C?

What is the purpose of Bound Checking in C?

Hello, everyone. I am the student of commerce and I am interested in studying the C programming language. I just started to learn the C language on suggestion of my friend. So I would like to know about the Bound Checking in the C language. I would also like to know about the what is the purpose of the Bound Checking in C language?, how it can work?. Is it related to Array? if somebody know the answer then reply me.

Bound Checking

Hi, I think it is good hear that commerce students are also getting interested in the C programming language. In programming language like C Bound Checking is any of the method that detects whether a variable is within some bounds or not before the use of the variable. Bound Checking is particularly related to the variable used as an index in an array to make sure that the value of the variable lies between the bound of array or not. I think it sufficient for you to know about the Bound Checking.

Bound Checking in C

I suggest you to go through the following example that helps you to learn about the Bound Checking. The first check in Bound Checking is known as range checking and the second known as index checking.
    For example:- A value of 32768 is about to be assigned to a 16-bit signed integer variable. Upper bounds of 32768 are −32768 to +32767 or accessing an element of 25 on an array with index range 0 through 9 only.

Array

I had glad to hear that you are learning the C programming language. I thought that failing of bounds check mainly results in the generation of some sort of exception signal. Because during every usage it is difficult to perform the bounds checking which is time-consuming. Bounds checking elimination are compiler technologies that eliminate unneeded bounds. C programming language never perform automatic bounds checking in order to increase the speed. Thank You!