Thread: How to add data from Array to a Datagrid?

How to add data from Array to a Datagrid?

I am intermediate programmer in the programming world. I am learning the programming language like C++, Visual Basic, SQL, Core Java and PHP. I just love to do programming in any of this programming language and loves to learn new-new things also. This days i am working in Visual Basic, and i got stuck in a problem while making one demo project, and problem ishow can we add the data from the Array to a DataGrid or vice-versa? Please help me on this.

Re: How to add data from Array to a Datagrid?

The bind of the data from array/arraylist to DataGrid or DBGrid is not that easy nor that hard. You should bound the DataGrid or DBGrid to the database recordset object. But , you should not bind a LocalArray to database grid. So, if you want bind the array, then save the Array in some temporary table in database and then open the recordset and do binding. Hope your problem will be solved.

I think you would be knowing how to populate data from or to a database into or from a datagrid/dbgrid. Once the ArrayList has been populated, you should set the DataSource property of the datagrid control to the ArrayList. Then the columns in the DataGrid control are populated which are based on the properties for which in-scope property accessor's exist. Hope your problem will be fix.

Actually you have not provided the complete information about your problem, means what your project is and what you really want to do?. Then if you ned to bind the arraylist to the datagrid, you firstly need to make a string
    array, populate it to the values, and after that bind the string array to
    the datagrid. I would give you simple code of binding them(not the complete code just example of it):
    ArrayList al1 = new ArrayList();
    al1.Add(allRecords("4").ToString());
    al1.Add(allRecords("5").ToString());

DataGrid1.DataSource = al1.ToArray(typeof(string));
    DataGrid1.DataBind();
    Hope this code will give you idea of binding data and your problem get fix.

According to me, to bind the ArrayList with DataGrid, you need to contain the object which has/contain all the data. So, in order to bind the data of Arraylist, which will be stored in one of the objects; all the data members of the class should be implemented as properties. Then the arraylist will be able to bind the list of objects stored to the datagrid. There are 3steps to do this:
    1] Creating a class for the objects and it will be kept in the arraylist.
    2] Creating the list of objects which you want to bind to the datagrid
    3] After this all, just bind the datagrid.
    Hope your problem will be solved with this steps.

I also have problem related to the arraylist and datagrid. I developing a project, in which i have bind a DataGrid to the ArrayList, and after doing i got stuck in two problems:
    ->The DataGrid is showing that the Length property of the items instead of their text, so how i can do changes in that?
    ->And once done with binding, i added new elements to the ArrayList but the DataGrid is not getting refresh view- I had set the DataSource property of the DataGrid to Nothing and then done re-binding it to the ArrayList, then also it is not working? Need help please.
    Last edited by kelfro; 19-01-2010 at 10:23 AM.