Thread: Is C# good for first time?

Is C# good for first time?

Hi Friends,
    I am going to States in July and I have to complete a modules programming in C#. I have done the HTML and Access and don't know much about the programming languages. What you think.?? Should I concentrate on C# or it would be worth going for another programming language.? In short, Is C# good for first time? Please reply me soon.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Re: Is C# good for first time?

If you have done a HTML, then I would like to suggest you to go for the javascript or php. Including the large websites like Facebook and Youtube, many more websites uses javascript and php. So according to me it would be better if you are going for that programming languages. It's the syntax you have to learn and not only practical to know but programming concepts are really all the same. It will make learning a more difficult language come easier and make more sense. Instead of starting from the C#, it would be better to start from the javascript or php.

According to me, the best language for beginners to learn is Python. It's very easy to learn and also it is a powerful language geared towards clean and rapid development. Also i would like to recommend starting with C/C++ as a first language to give you a good solid foundation to really understand the concepts of the writing an efficient Object Oriented programs. Also try to start programming on a sheet of paper first in what some instructors call "pseudo code". Simply, you write out the steps to complete the task.

I have worked with C# for an assignment during an internship. And if you ask me about the C#, I will tell that I liked the language which is a lot better than the Java. When compared to Java, it's cleaner and more consequent. IMO properties and delegates for example are language constructs
    which really make sense to have in an Object Oriented language. C# takes what java's laid the ground for, but adds some stuff I missed from C++, such as pointer manipulation. So I like it, but would never undertake a serious programming endeavor in it, unless I was heavily relying on the .net framework.

I am telling you some features of C# :
    • It aims to combine the high productivity of Visual Basic and the raw power of C++.
    • .NET includes a Common Execution engine and a rich class library.
    • C# is a simple, modern, object oriented language derived from C++ and Java.
    • It is a part of Microsoft Visual Studio7.0.
    • Microsoft's JVM equiv. is Common language run time (CLR).
    • The classes and data types are common to all of the .NET languages.
    • In C# Microsoft has taken care of C++ problems such as Memory management, pointers etc.
    • Visual studio supports Vb, VC++, C++, Vbscript, Jscript. All of these languages provide access to the Microsoft .NET platform.

When you compare the C# with the Java, I would say that C# is better than Java. Here are some features that are available in C# but are missing from the Java :
    1. Conditional compilation which tells the compiler what to compile and what to ignore. when you want those statements to just disappear from the final product and have no performance influence which is very hard with Java to add trace statements to your code.
    2. Operator overloading feature is missing from Java with the reason of simplicity. It can make your code look nice and useful.
    3. Partial classes is one good feature. it means same class, two source files. Can be very useful for automatic code generation engines and just general code organization.