Thread: Dynamic Website VS Static Website

Dynamic Website VS Static Website

I have a medium scale business of Steel Work Fabrication(a manufacturer). I am also intermediate programmer and knows programming language like Core Java, SQL, HTML, ASP and DBMS. Now i am planning to build up or create a website of our company. I am confused weather i should make static website or dynamic website. I have also concerned many web developers and got mix reaction, so i need help from you people, please guide me to right direction.

Re: Dynamic Website VS Static Website

Good question to be asked and bit confusing also. As you would be knowing that there are two kinds of websites developed i.e Static and Dynamic. Both have merits and demerits at its own place. The static website has limitation in its functionality, whereas the dynamic website has great potential in terms of functionality, but in same case can more complex also. If your website does not have too many pages and less information then go for dynamic or else go for static.

My favor would go in the side of the dynamic website. The people avoided the dynamic sites, because they were not easily indexed by the search engines as static websites, but this not true anymore. Now the Search Engines gotten better at indexing dynamic urls and also got the search engine friendly urls courtesy of mod-rewrite tricks. My studies also says that dynamic sites are very well indexed and indexed faster than static websites.

According to me, the dynamic websites gives powers to their owners with the permission to upload information on their own, mostly through a password protected administrative interfaces.And it does not need any knowledge/lessons about HTML or websites design for updating or maintaining such a site, whereas in static websites we need all this. So, i personally prefer to go with dynamic websites. But as you told that you are developing website for medium scale business you can go for static website.
    Last edited by kelfro; 08-01-2010 at 12:56 PM.

According to your requirement and information specified by you i would prefer to go for static website. If you have small inventory of products and/or service on your website then static would be best, as it will fit within your budget think so. The advantage of static website is it is cheaper to develop, quick to develop and cheap to host. If you have the large inventory of products and/or services then opt for dynamic, it will better. Hope your problem get solved.

My knowledge about websites says that static website is one that is written in HTML only and the dynamic website is written using more complex code and can do a lot more. In static website, every page is a separate document and there is no database that it draws on. Means you to go each every page to make any changes or editing it. You can also make some dynamic areas for your such as catalog which will be changing as the time goes on and some as static which will not change frequently.