Thread: Modeling of a management application

Modeling of a management application

Hello
    I need to make a supervision application of network equipment of facilities with possibility of raising their state through and sends SNMP traps for alarms GUI as I would like to have curves on a web browser, these curves must be updated over water. What architecture JEE allows a component that poll network equipment. I think EJB, Servlets, JCA are not oriented to such applications. Is that Mbeans, JMX poller allow the state and a equipment receive SNMP traps?
    or JEE is not suited to this type of applications.
    Last edited by ISAIAH; 06-01-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Re: Modeling of a management application

Hi
    I do not see why J2EE architectures are inadequate. You have also several technical solutions in J2EE for achieving what you want:

- Have a page with an automatic refresh (or any page, either alone GUI component with AJAX for example) in this case, the server makes the call SNMP receipt of the request.

- Have a server running regularly SNMP requests, regardless of requests (via a timer), and updating a "local cache. In this case, when the browser requests the state, the server returns the last known version of the local cache.

Hi
    I prefer the second solution, I think this is much more suitable for requirements.
    - Have a server running regularly SNMP requests, regardless of requests (via a timer), and updating a "local cache. In this case, when the browser requests the state, the server returns the last known version of the local cache.
    But what JEE component can manage a timer? I have not used it before so , I have no idea about it. Can you give me an more detailed explanation, so that I can carry the process more smoothly.

Hello
    But what JEE component can manage a timer? I have not used it before so , I have no idea about it.
    You can use the following packages and class in them to fulfill your needs.
    java.util.Timer
    java.util.TimerTask
    Quartz API
    And this is not the same but the J2EE standard Java. I think there must be much more classes for the same in java.

Hi,
    Ok, So I return to my first question.
    Is it interesting to use a container or framework JEE (spring, jboss, jonas, OpenEJB, glassfish ...)
    or just use the Tomcat server. I have used Tomcat server before but not the remaining so I can not differentiate between the both. If you guys can guide me it would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi
    Everything depends on your needs. If you do not use features specific to J2EE servers (EJB, JNDI resources, clustering, etc..) Server servlet container like Tomcat enough to run your application.

Note 1: Do not mix servers and Frameworks. You should take a turn on courses for ideas on this subject.

Note 2: Spring, Struts, Hibernate ... Frameworks which are not necessarily require a J2EE server. We can run an application "Struts + Spring + Hibernate" and webservices on Tomcat.

However, it will not deploy any EJBs on Tomcat.