Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2010

How do I stream media from my webpage or server?

I want to create a Web page that can play the media. All I want is to stream media from my webpage. So that when someone visits that web page, it should play from the starting. I hope that you have got my point. Does anyone know how to do that? Any suggestions are really appreciable.
Old 05-01-2010

Re: How do I stream media from my webpage or server?

Using the Streaming media, such as RealAudio sound files in your Website is the great way to make it attractive. There are some specific things that are required, so that it can work correctly. They are :
  • file types that can be streamed
  • server software that supports streaming media
Web Server needs to support streaming then only you can put streaming media on your Web site. Nowadays many hosting providers offer streaming media support. So you can ask your provider about the compatibility of the media.
Old 05-01-2010

Once you know that your Web server has streaming media support, then you can set up your RAM file using that server. And that RAM file should have only a URL pointing to the .pm file where it would be located on the streaming server. After this you will have to save your RAM file as "filename".ram and make sure that nothing is there in that file except the link to your pnm server. Then on your HTML page, you have to just link the RAM file as the other file on your Server. When user clicks on that link, the file will begin to stream from the computer.
e.g. : <a href="http://mywebpage.demo.com/welcome.ram">
Then upload the HTML and the RAM to your Web server and the .rm file to your streaming media server
Old 05-01-2010

You can use the following code to stream media to your Server using the Java :

import java.io.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.util.*;

public class HTTPServer {
ServerSocket serversocket;
Socket socket;
BufferedReader input;
PrintWriter output;
boolean error;

public HTTPServer() {
error = false;
}

public void start() {
try {
serversocket = new ServerSocket(80);
socket = serversocket.accept();
input = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(socket.getInputStream()));
output = new PrintWriter(socket.getOutputStream());
} catch(IOException e) {
error = true;
}
}

public void stop() {
try {
input.close();
output.flush();
output.close();
socket.close();
serversocket.close();
} catch(IOException e) {
error = true;
}
}

public void send(String data) {
output.println(data);
output.flush();
}

public String receive() {
String data = "";

try {
data = input.readLine();
} catch(IOException e) {
error = true;
}

return data;
}
}
Old 05-01-2010

You will have to check some details before Streaming Media from the Webpage and they are :
  • How much bandwidth do you need for a given size of video stream which depends on how good the encoding/compression is and other factors like the amount of dynamic activity there is going on. It can vary quite a bit during the video sequence.
  • The overall system capability will also determine how effectively the video stream can be encoded, compressed and streamed. It will be better if the CPU power is more.
Old 05-01-2010

You can also use the Icecast for streaming media from your Webpage or the Server. I think that you should try this first and suppose that it is not working according to you then you can go for the coding. I think that the coding in Java will certainly help you.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,