Thread: Command to close Windows

Command to close Windows

Hi,
    I use windows xp as my operating system and I have started programming recently. I was wondering that is it possible to run a command or bat file to close windows. I think there should be one, if so, what is the command? Can any one help me with the command to close a window.
    Last edited by Ameeryan; 29-12-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Re: Command to close Windows

Hello
    It is possible! Method:
    1) Create a text file containing your script and give it as a cmd extension. (test.cmd I will use as example below)
    2) Make sure that Windows displays hidden files and folders.
    3) Place the test.cmd in the following directory: C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ GroupPolicy \ Machine \ Scripts \ Shutdown
    4) Test test.cmd by double-clicking it to make sure it runs properly.

You can do the same way to run a script at startup of your machine by placing it in C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ GroupPolicy \ Machine \ Scripts \ Startup. I have tested this in windows xp and not on any other operating system.

Hello
    Directory C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ GroupPolicy \ Machine \ Scripts \ Shutdown.
    I understood it and I created a little code
    Code:
    del C: / example.txt
    in test.cmd in C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ GroupPolicy \ User \ Scripts \ Logoff:
    I run the code and it worked, well deleted the file. So I recreated and then reboot , but this time the file was not erased. Any idea about this behavior ? Is there something which I need to change? Thank you!

Hello
    Perhaps all con, but there is a lack of syntax in your code: the slash before the "example" is a slash and not a back-slash! That is why the code does not work. The best way to test your code is to first do a double-click on your test.cmd to see if you get the desired result. If yes, then you can test it with a logg-off, then a shutdown.

Hi
    I have written the code and yes I did not paid attention to that stuff bu the problem is that the file works when I log off. Regarding the version of Windows that I use, I use xp pro ... but I'd like to get this stuff at XP home edition. I found this topic on how to windows xp pro and in fact it works, this is what you need to activate it but something at the same time is stopping the file to run.

Hello,
    It's normal that it does not work, that adding a script in% systemroot% \ System32 \ GroupPolicy \ Machine \ Scripts \ Startup does not have to execute.
    It must also configure Group Policy (local or domain) to tell him to run. To do this click Start / Run and type gpedit.msc
    Then go to "Windows Settings" then "scripts" and double click on "Stop system" click Add and then browse , it is your script. In fact, it is simply the default GPOs. So select the script and click ok all you see. That's it, the script runs at the next stop. Hope you got the point.