Thread: Explain the Global.asa file and ASPError Object in ASP

Explain the Global.asa file and ASPError Object in ASP

Can any one explain to me the Global.asa file and ASPError Object in ASP (Active Server Pages). This is my assignment topic for this week. I have very recently started learning ASP language and this is not at all easy for me. I am not good at programming languages. I have earlier studied C++, but that does not seems to be of much help in ASP. So please help me.

ASP: ASPError Object

In case there is any error in the script then we can us e the ASPError object that displays the error information in the script. The ASPError object's information can only be accessed with the help of Server.GetLastError method. The ASPError object was introduced in ASP 3.0. Thus it displays information about the last error in the script.

ASPError Object Properties

Following are a few ASP ASPError Objects:

• Description: ASPError.Description()
      To get a precise description of the error the description property is used.
    • Source: ASPError.Source()
      To view the actual source code of the line where the error has happened you may use the Source property.
    • ASPCode: ASPError.ASPCode()
      To get the IIS generated error code you may use the ASPCode property.

Global.asa file

The ASP supports an optional file which holds the declarations for methods, objects and variables. These can be accessed by all ASP pages in an application using the Global.asa file. An important thing to remember with the Global.asa file is that every application has a single Global.asa file. Root directory contains this Global.asa file of the application.

Global.asa for session and application events

The initialization code of the session and application is stored in the global.asa file of ASP. The global.asa file is not a required file but an optional file. It should always be present in the root directory of the ASP application. Thus it is considered as a special file which handles the application and session events of ASP. Even I had hard times to learn ASP because I was also not from a programming background.

Events in global.asa

There are four events in the ASP global.asa file:
    • Application_OnStart : The Application_OnStart event is called before any .asp files are processed. In an ASP application when the very first user calls the initial page the Application_OnStart event occurs.
    • Application_OnEnd: Just about opposite to Application_OnStart, occurs as soon as the last user ends the ongoing session.
    • Session_OnStart: When a new user of the ASP application asks for their first web page the Session_OnStart event occurs.
    • Session_OnEnd: As soon the user ends the session the Session_OnEnd event is said to occur. It has a 20 minutes default time out.