Thread: Granting mysql privleges in phpmyadmin

Granting mysql privleges in phpmyadmin

I have installed Apache server Version 2.2 on my machine running windows xp. I have installed smf forum, created some databases. I want to know the procedure to grant privileges in mysql. Do i need to grant permission through phpadmin?

Re: Granting mysql privleges in phpmyadmin

PHPMyAdmin can do this because the permissions are stored in a database called mysql. Managing databases, tables, fields, relations, indexes, users, permissions are the major job of phphadmin. phpMyAdmin handles the administration of one or more MySQL servers over the web.You may not have permission to this if you are on a virtual server. PhpMyAdmin supports a wide range of operations with MySQL.

MySQL privileges allow each of the users to access and utilize only the areas they need to perform their tasks.The tables of mysql database called grant tables are used to configure all aspects of user access privileges. This prevents a user from accidentally accessing an area where he or she should not have access this adds to the security of the MySQL server.

If you are in a shared hosting environment, you most likely do no have access to issue GRANT statements or modify the SQL user in any way at all... When you connect to a MySQL server, the host from which you connect and the user name you specify determines your identity. With this information, the server then grants privileges based upon this identity.

The MySQL database software offers both administrators and users a great amount of control options, GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `test1db\_%` . * TO 'test'@'localhost';This will grant all privileges a user called test on localhost for all databases beginning with test1db.

The GRANT statement gives you the power to enable all, or a selection of, user privileges for a database or for a specific table.when you modify the grant tables directly, you must tell the server to reload them with FLUSH PRIVILEGES so that the privilege changes take effect. In order to GRANT privileges, first you need to log in to the MySQL server using an SSH client.