Thread: Which is best, Data report or Crystal report?

Which is best, Data report or Crystal report?

Hi,

I am designing the Visual Basics project. I am on the middle stage of the designing. For this project I need to design the reports also. I have two option first is "Data report" and another is "Crystal report". I am getting confused in between them. According to you which reporting tool should I have to use. Please help me to find out the best tool reporting tool in between "Data report" and "Crystal report". It will be great if you will recommend with proper advantages about it.

Re: Which is best, Data report or Crystal report?

Hi,

I suggest you to use the Crystal report rather than data report. You will get more flexibility in the crystal report as compare to data report. You are able to create the sub-report in the crystal report, but while in the data you can't create sub-report .
    The use of the SQL query in the crystal is not complicated as it is in the data report. You can extend the very complicated reports in the crystal report while in data report you are not. I hope this information my give some idea to choose the reporting tool.

Following are some advantages of using the Crystal report:

1. If you use crystal report you are programatically able to convert the reports in the various format such XLS, PDF, HTML, DOC, as well in the RTF format.
    2. You can design many sub folders using the Crystal report.
    3. The overall looks and feeling of the Crystal report is better than the Data report.
    4. Crystal report used to expose a object model, and it also used to interact with ASP.NET controls on the Web form.

Hi Friend,

The crystal report is like a add-in type program which is comes along with Visual Basics. Basically we use the this Report to design custom lists, reports, custom labels as well as different types form letters among the existing database.
    Mostly this reporting tool is essential to create multiple sub-reports. We are able to use the crystal report report along with the various databse platforms such as SQL Server , Foxpro, DBase, ODBC, MsAccess etc.
    While Data Report is same a Visual Basics form in which has a code module as well as visual designer. Using this facility of the data report you are able to divide the entire report in to the two or more sections. And this facility is not available in the Crystal reporting tool.

HI,
    I dont know for sure your needs in details, and I cant point at one tool to tell you is the best for you,because I use FastReport reporting tool, but I think when it comes to reporting tools, the best thing to do is to look at your needs, and check out which one suits your needs better than the other,Then you pick it.
    Hope this can help a little.

ThumbsUp Re: Which is best, Data report or Crystal report?

Crystal Reports is a great tool, but honestly it's too complicated and requires way too much programming. As a alternative I use a new software program called Stonefield Query. Fast, easy, and creates professional looking reports in a fraction of the time. Give it a look see.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 11-03-2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: External Links Removed