Thread: Need advice on CMS project

Need advice on CMS project

I am trying to develop project completely by myself. I currently have 2 ideas:
    - Creation of a CMS with CakePHP
    - Stratego Game in Flash or VB.net

I will therefore speak of CMS since I have some knowledge in PHP.

My goal would be to make something like Wordpress without using blog option with CakePHP (which I had the opportunity to experience during an internship). Here are the features which I thought

• Publications of articles sorted by category and dates.
    • Publications of news,
    • Management Review
    • User Management
    • Management of dynamic and static pages.
    • Image Management.
    • Simplified management topics.

This will seem realistic knowing that I am a beginner in PHP and I have a job soon on the side. Finally, my goal is still to reinvent the wheel.

Re: Need advice on CMS project

I would say that everything depends on "degree" of finish you want to achieve. Do you have programming skills other than PHP? If yes, the language itself will not be a problem. Using a framework you will save time for sure. I think that 50 hours of dev counting well off you can have the functionality that you describe. Regarding the project to something useful, because unfortunately it does not. Anyway, our day is really hard to find an innovative project that is not already However if the purpose of learning, I think it's not that serious. And then, this is rarely beginners who projects the best, most innovative, etc..

I'm not an expert in programming but I have good foundations. For info I know Java, COBOL, VB6, C and C++; and now the Dev web: HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP. Can't I prevent 50 hours? Finally are you sure that the time it takes for a Dev is that much?

50h of dev, but there's the specifications and technical specifications detailed in writing before, so we suggest you to do a real project ...

50h of dev for a CMS! It must be a dream. I hope your plan is not to make a CMS like Drupal. It would be very difficult for you since you are all alone and it is a learning project. 50 hours for management of news/articles/reviews/users is more than enough. It is just to manage different types of content that is not great

In my opinion, a good project idea would be to create an API to implement the most common languages (C++, C#, Java, PHP ...), the LSA algo in the storage of information Mysql database and calculation of SVD made by .exe written in C. The semantics in the news is the future and have a system of linking documents quickly, that would interest a lot of business. I started to do something like this in php/mysql based on the algo, and it does not hurt, but the problem is the computation time.