Thread: Error mkdir() in PHP

Error mkdir() in PHP

Hi
    I am trying an php code and getting an error constantly. Warning mkdir(); [function.mkdir]: The file exists in /home/......./verify.php. I am getting that error constantly that is the problem. i am posting my code below. I do not think there is a problem with php code. Still you guys check it and please help.
    Code:
    mkdir('$name',0777);
     $name = ucfirst(strtolower($_POST['username-reg']));
    Any advice or suggestion on this. Thanks in advance.

Re: Error mkdir() in PHP

Hi
    I think the directory is already existing there this is why it is giving you an error. You have even made some mistakes in you code. The following should be in quote
    Code:
    $name
    Else it will create the directory $name and not the value that $name refers to.
    One more thing is that , you need to define the $name before you try to create a directory otherwise the value will be empty. check the following part of the code.
    Code:
    $name = ucfirst(strtolower($_POST['username-reg']));
    if (is_dir($name)) { mkdir($name, 0777); }
    If any more query do post back.

Hi
    the above mentioned points are absolutely correct. You make the changes to your code and it will run for you. I have some other options for you. You may also use
    Code:
    uscword()
    instead of
    Code:
    ucfirst()
    This will be implemented if the $name will include the first and the last name or otherwise only the first name will be capitalized. Try this option, these are very handy options some times. If you have solved the problem then do post back with the updated / modified code.

Hello
    I would like to mention one more point that is on some server configurations you will have to make the default directory at the setting of 644 and then you can change the mode to 777, if you want to use that. My suggestion to you is to try 755 first because it is safer than what you are trying. Some hands on programs will give you this experience. So, enjoy coding and any problem do post.