Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-11-2009

Explain what is Upcasting-Downcasting in C++

I have just started to study C++ programming language. This is my first interaction with a programming language. And I have also never studied C programming language. Though my faculty is helping me alot to understand this C++ there are certain topics which I am unable to understand easily. One of those topics is Upcasting-Downcasting. Please explain to me what is Upcasting and Downcasting in C++?
Old 26-11-2009

Re: Explain what is Upcasting-Downcasting in C++

C++ permits an Object to be used as an Object to its base type or as its own type. C++ also allows use to use the address of the base type for manipulating the Object. Thus, Upcasting in C++ is defined as the process of selecting object's address which can be a pointer or even a reference and then to treat it as it was the base type's address.
Old 26-11-2009

To put into simple words down-casting is just the reverse of up-casting. It is exactly the opposite.
Code:
void myFunction(Animal* A)
{
       	   Dog *D = dynamic_cast<Dog*>(A);
    if(D)
    {
        // we are now allowed to easily use D
    }    
}
This above code will help you to understand down-casting. I too was confused between up-casting and down-casting concept. Down-casting is a bit more difficult to understand as compared to up-casting. C++ is although a very easy programming language.

Last edited by Reegan : 26-11-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 26-11-2009

Downcasting is defined as the method to cast a reference or a pointer of a Base class in C++ to a Derived Class. To perform this conversion which is termed as Downcasting there is a special explicit cast known as dynamic_cast. It defies the basic rule of Object Oriented concept that states variables of a base class are being always assigned by objects of a derived class.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,