Thread: C# to download a file in your disk

C# to download a file in your disk

Hello to all. I have a query about file download in C#. I want to know the code to download a file from the internet to my disk using C# programming. I finding this quite difficult to code as I am very new to programming concept. I have tried a few codes but all my codes have given some or the other errors every time. So please if any one can explain to me how to do this coding or can provide me with this code than I will be a lot thankful to that person.

Re: C# to download a file in your disk

Code:
    string URL="http://www.yourdomainname.com/file.zip";
    string FilePath="C:\file.zip";
    System.Net.WebClient Client = new WebClient();
    Client.DownloadFile(URL,FilePath);
    The above four lines of code will help you to downlaod files from web to your computer. In the first line you have to specify the website address of the file .i.e URL. In the second line a string variable is used to store the file path where the file is to be downloaded. The third and fourth line will then download the file to your designated folder.

The WebClient class and its DownloadFile method are used to facilitate the download of a web file to the user's machine. The DownloadFile method's first parameter contains the internet address of the web file the user intends to download. This address is also technically known as 'url'. The second parameter defines the path on the user's machine where the user intends to download the web file.
    Here is a code to download file Synchronously in C-Sharp where the main thread is blocked until the file download is completed.
    Code:
    using System.Net;
    WebClient webClient = new WebClient();
    webClient.DownloadFile("http://mysite.com/myfile.txt", @"c:\myfile.txt");

I know a method which is termed as Asynchronous method to download a file from web in Csharp. This method is useful to not block the main thread while is file is being downloaded. With help of event handlers the programmer can also indicate the download file's progress and whether it has completed download or not. The Asynchronous method to download a file is as follows:

Code:
    private void btnDownload_Click(object sender, EventArgs EA)
    {
      WebClient webClient = new WebClient();
      webClient.DownloadFileCompleted += new AsyncCompletedEventHandler(Completed);
      webClient.DownloadProgressChanged += new DownloadProgressChangedEventHandler(ProgressChanged);
      webClient.DownloadFileAsync(new Uri("http://siteeg.com/fileeg.txt"), @"D:\fileeg.txt");
    }

private void ProgressChanged(object sender, DownloadProgressChangedEventArgs P)
    {
      progressBar.Value = P.ProgressPercentage;
    }

private void Completed(object sender, AsyncCompletedEventArgs Ace)
    {
      MessageBox.Show("Finished downloading file");
    }