Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 18-11-2009

Provide mass properties to an object in AS3

Is there a quick fix in AS3 to give mass properties to an object during its instantiation?

I want to avoid repeatably making myObject.myProperty = value ...

For example, the Away3D framework, we can define the properties of a newly created cube this way:
Code:
var myCube:Cube = new Cube ( { x: 2 , y: 3 , z: 15 , alpha: 0.5 , rotationY: 62 , width : 35 , ... } ) ;
All in order you want of course. Is there the equivalent in native AS3? How can I do if I create a function myself ?
Old 18-11-2009

Re: Provide mass properties to an object in AS3

You could do with ... args

genre:
function test(...args)
test(x, v, t ,t ,t ,t ,t, ,t ,t, e,e, e ,e)

and you RECOVERED ls value to the table with "args"

Examples of arguments:

Code:
myMethod ( "Hello" , "World" ) ; function myMethod ( str: String , str2: String ) : void { trace ( arguments . callee == this . myMethod ) // true trace ( arguments . length ) ; // 2 trace ( arguments [ 0 ] ) ; // Hello trace ( arguments [ 1 ] ) ; // World trace ( str,str2 ) ; // Hello World }
The callee property returns a reference to the function that called the method. To handle errors, there is also a class ArgumentError.
Old 18-11-2009

Well, I do not know anything about AS3, but it is much like your JavaScript code.

If it's the same thing, you can declare an object with JSON, like:
Code:
  var MYCUBE = (x: 2 y: 3 z: 15, alpha: 0.5, rotationY: 62 width: 35)
It'll create an object with properties MYCUBE x, y, z, alpha, width and rotationY already declared.

If you want to add properties to an existing object, use either a function and route table "arguments", or duplicate the properties of an object ad-hoc. For example, to copy the properties of "MYCUBE" in an object "myObject", use:
Code:
  for (var i in MYCUBE) 
  myObject [i] = MYCUBE [i]
Or via a function:
Code:
function addProp(myObject)
{
    for (var i = 1; i < arguments.length; i += 2)
        myObject[arguments[i]] = arguments[i+1]
}
Who used this way:
Code:
addProp(myObject, "x", 2, "y", 3, "z", 15, "alpha", 0.5, "rotationY", 62, "width", 35)
Old 18-11-2009

Well, I knew this "JSON" nomenclature as you said, but I never tested in AS3, and it works fine, thank you DotNetUser for your input

Code:
function addProp (_cible:Object, _properties:Object)
{
        for (var i in _properties)
       _cible[i] = _properties[i]
}

addProp(myObject,{x:250,y:56});

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,