Thread: Flash & Away3D

Flash & Away3D

A small question on Away3D. Last year Adobe made a hell of fuss about the 3D as3. Soon everything fell and I do not got much reliable on the subject. So the 3D in Flash 10 is it:

1- CPU (eg papervision): CPU
    2- GPU & pbuffer: CPU + GPU
    3- Context GPU native: GPU

At the time I looked on Alternativa and had two details caught my attention:
    CPU at 100%
    Frame rate-> frequency screen

For me Alternativa uses either 1 or 2. But Alternativa is based on as3 calls, so for me as3 is using option 1 or 2.

Then:
    1 - Am I right?
    2 - What type of acceleration using flash: 1,2 or 3?

Re: Flash & Away3D

Flash enjoys GPU acceleration (possible when exporting to Flash Player 10). But I am not able to answer what exactly is applicable in your case 2 or 3.

No 3D framework exploiting the GPU. Both say that the CPU reaches saturation quickly. Alternativa is the most powerful framework3D I have tested with regard to the collision, the Z-Order... etc but it also has default (that is not the issue...)

The 3d "native" flash 10 would benefit from GPU acceleration, but this "3D" nothing serious, it was beautiful and well a Z axis and perspective, but not Z-Order! In short, nothing interesting!

Otherwise, the framerate calculation is independent of that of the screen... Fortunately indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by opaper View Post
    The 3d "native" flash 10 would benefit from GPU acceleration, but this "3D" nothing serious, it was beautiful and well a Z axis and perspective, but not Z-Order! In short, nothing interesting!
    It will explain the scope of my Adobe media about it.

Quote Originally Posted by opaper View Post
    Otherwise, the framerate calculation is independent of that of the screen... Fortunately indeed!
    This is true for 1 & 2 but the framerate max 3 is the frequency output from the graphics card (which is the frequency of screen refresh).

You can not go faster than the sync swap buffer read/write.

Otherwise, I know that the output frequency of the graphic card will not be above the frequency of the screen, beyond that I do know anything but calculation + to see the maximum should be possible since that the principle benchmarks? no?

In 3 if it does not draw anything in the GL context (type there is a simple return) we will have a framerate = screen frequency (the maximum).

In 1 & 2 is the copy buffer -> GPU. So even if the buffer is read by the maximum GPU frequency screen, writing in the same buffer can be while (true) without delay, so we can have more framerates important if one draws nothing. I saw no obvious difference in perf between 1 & 2, its equally crap.

Personally I just search an alternative to Flash framework3D and I think the WebGL which happens, but I have yet to enjoy the full power of OpenGL. Flash gives me the advantage to create easy interactivity, and despite owning, it is largely incorporated by the general public. After that, there are the negative points which I can only bend me yet ...