Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 17-11-2009

What does at @ identifier means in C#

I am learning C sharp. I have to connfess that Csharp has introduced many concepts for programming an application on a .NET platform that makes it so easy to code and use it. But still I have confusion on the use of @ symbol in Csharp. What is the @ symbol actually used for. I guess it is for a String Literal only. Am I correct ?
Old 17-11-2009

Re: What does at @ identifier means in C#

The @ symbol does not always conveys that the following is a Verbatim String Literal. If a string is enclosed in quotation marks and is precided by the @ sign only the it is considered as Verbatim string literal. But we can make use of @ symbol to make use of keywords of Csharp as general variables.
Old 17-11-2009

Csharp is the best to code various progams that are for Microsofts .Net platform. It helped me alot to understand and make applications for .Net. To solve your confusion the answer that it is not that @ symbol signifies everything as a string literal always. It can be useful for including Csharp keyword as a variable in your programming code.

Last edited by Zecho : 17-11-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 17-11-2009

Let us consider that for instance the programmer need to make use of a keyword as a variable since it is very easy to indentify the value contained in that variable from its name, in this case the programmer wants a variable with name class.
For example,
Code:
 int class = 22;
But as we know that class is a keyword for C# and thus it cannot be used as variable name. But C# allows this by prefixing the at sign- @ before the keyword.
Code:
int @class = 22;
Although this is not considered as a good practise.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , , ,