Thread: Define the term- CLR for .NET

Define the term- CLR for .NET

I am using Csharp and .NET to make an application which runs on .NET platform. But I have never learnt Csharp or .NET. While developing this application I am learning as well as working on it. I want to know what is hte meaning for the term CLR - Common Language Runtime for .NET framework. Thanks in advance.

Re: Define the term- CLR for .NET

CLR is an abbreviation for Commom Language Runtime. It is a run time environment that is provided by Microsoft .NET framework. The CLR is responsible for running and executing the code thus making the process developement more easier. It provides the developers with a number of services which include security, memory and thread management, collection garbage data, etc.

Common Language Runtime(CLR) is considered as the Soul of .NET framework. You can trust the Common Language Runtime to fetch codes that are written in different programming languages. It is responsible to run the code on Client as well as Server side. The Common Language Runtime is also known to do the object layout handling and also managing the object references. It also keeps a track as to release them when they are no further needed.

Microsoft describes the Common Language Runtime for .NET as the Execution Engine, as it does the task of executing the code. It has the capability to excute the programs that are built in different languages. The Common Language Runtime accepts code in any intermediate language and then converts it into machine understandable language for execution.