Thread: Generic Programming concepts for C++

Generic Programming concepts for C++

I have been reading alot about C++ Generic programming features. But what are they exactly? What are the concepts that are incuded in C++. I have been working on C++ since last 6 months but still never really understood this thing. Can anyone highlight for me the concepts of Generic programming in C++

Re: Generic Programming concepts for C++

Generic programming is a method for programming software that optimizes the reusability of code in a manner which does not sacrifice performance. C++ supports generic programming. Generic programming is about generalizing software components so that they can be reused easily in a wide range of situations. In C++, class and function templates are particularly effective mechanisms for generic programming as they make the generalization possible without sacrificing efficiency.

Concepts are a part of Generic programming which ar included in C++. Concepts are sets of requirements bundled together under a single name. There are several types of requirements, but the most common kinds are functions, constructors, and operators that the data types must have and associated types that are typically used to express those functions, constructors, and operators.
    ConceptC++ concepts have the capability to directly project refinement relationships, nested requirements, etc, so that all important syntactic features of concepts can be encoded directly in ConceptC++.

ConceptC++ is an extension to the C++ Programming Language that introduces first-class support for Generic Programming. It is the first attempt to provide full support for Generic Programming into a mainstream programming language. ConceptC++ is a strong candidate for inclusion into the upcoming ANSI/ISO C++ Standard, dubbed C++0x.