Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Define Copy constructor in C++ code

Software Development

Old 07-11-2009

Define Copy constructor in C++ code

I am a new user to C++ programming. I have recently started using this programming language and I am finding it quite interesting to work on. I am not that well versed with C++ programming language. I have come across a term Copy Constructor. I know what a constructor is. But I want to know what are Copy Constrctors in C++? Can anyone explain it to me ?

Last edited by Shaan12 : 07-11-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2009

Re: Define Copy constructor in C++ code

Yes, C++ is a really good programming language. I am also working on the same. C++ allows you to create a copy of an already existing object. A copy constructor in C++ is a special constructor which lets you create a new object as a copy of an already existing object. Copy constructor's first argument is a reference to an object of same type. This then might be followed by parameters of any type.
Old 07-11-2009

C++ inhabits a very unique constructor called as Copy Constructor. Whenever we create a new variable from an object the Copy Constructor is called. A variable is declared which is initialized from another object in the following manner:

Car a("Civic"); // constructor is used to build a.
Car b(c); // copy constructor is used to build b .
Person c = a; // copy constructor is used to initialize in declaration.

In case of assignment a Copy constructor is not created eg.
c = a; // Assignment operator, no constructor or copy constructor.
Old 07-11-2009

The basic intension of C++'s Copy Constructor is to initialize an object of a given class by copying an existing object of that very class. C++ compiler does create a Copy constructor even though you don't create it. But this would only do a shallow copy of the object. But developers need to create a Deep Copy of the Object, for this they make use of Copy Constructor.

eg.

Code:
Class temp
{
Temp();
   Temp(Temp&);           // copy constructor
};

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,