Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009

How to edit rows in MySQL

Hi,
I am currently learning MySql in Windows. I need some relative information on a query I am stucked on. First I need a general overview of MySQL. What are the types of field used in a Database under my SQL. I also need to enter a new record and remove a record from a existing database specifically. I had tried to delete a row from a sample which removed my entire database out. Please post some appropriate suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2009

Re: How to edit rows in MySQL

MySQL is the Structured Query Language is not only a standard language for communicating with databases. Each database introduces types of field values that are not necessarily present in others. However, there is a set of types that are represented in all of these bases. The types of different fields in MySQL is Alphanumeric - Contain numbers and letters. They have a limited length (255 characters), Numerical -There are several types, mainly integers (no decimal point) and real (with decimals), Boolean - They have two forms: True and False (Yes or No), Dates - Store dates then to facilitate their exploitation. Storing dates in this way allows sorting the records by date or calculate the days between two dates and other. Memos - Alphanumeric fields are of unlimited length. Have the disadvantage of not being indexed (we shall see what this means)
Old 05-11-2009

Here is the syntax which is used to enter a record in MySql Database. Insert Into table_name (nombre_campo1, nombre_campo2 ,...) Values (valor_campo1, valor_campo2 ...). A simple example from our table model is the introduction of a new customer it would be done with a statement like this:Insert Into customers (name, address, town, zipcode, email, ordering) VALUES. As shown, the non-numeric or boolean fields are delimited by apostrophes: '. It is also interesting that we have the zip code saved as a non-numeric field.
Old 05-11-2009

To delete a record we use the DELETE statement. In this case we must specify which or whom are the records we want to delete. It is therefore necessary to establish a selection process carried out by the Where clause. The syntax used for deleting a row in table is as follows - Delete From table_name. Try this out the specific row will be deleted in the same manner.
Old 05-11-2009

As for the case of Delete, we need to specify through which records Where to which we give effect to our modifications. Also, obviously, you have to specify what new field values we want to upgrade. The syntax is like this:UPDATE tbl_name SET. Lets take this for a example - UPDATE CLIENTS SET name = 'abc' WHERE name = 'def'. By this ruling changed the name of abc def for all records whose name is def. Here too we must be careful not to forget to use Where, otherwise, would modify all the records from our table.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , , ,