Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009

Java .class file

Hi,
I have recently started learning java. It sounds a very good language. I am eager to learn this java. So, what does a .class file means in java. I now this is a silly questions, but I want to make my base perfect. Can any one explain me what the .class file is and what is the use of .class in java. Thanks
Old 05-11-2009

Re: Java .class file

Java JVM needs to know about one java class or interface, the .class file contains this information. The major components of a class file are version, super class, interfaces, methods etc. The length of the class file can't be predicted, it often varies. the information in the class file is written with no space and no padding between pieces of information. This helps keep class file small so that they can fly across networks.
Old 05-11-2009

Re: Java .class file

The above information is perfect. I would like to add some more information to it. The components of the class file are strictly defined, so the JVM knows where to expect it and what to except. An example is, every JVM knows that the first eight bytes of a class file are the version number and magic and that the pool starts at the 9th byte. After it has finished reading the pool, it knows the next two bytes will be access flags. Don't worry it's not the difficult to understand once you get started.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,