Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 31-10-2009

Share single file for several projects without creating DLL

Here is my problem.

In VS 2010, how to share a file in several class projects in a given solution without creating a DLL. The file consists of a single class for interfacing with the rapid system DLLs (PInvoke). I have several executables (= number of projects) to create using this class. I do not want to create a DLL (no new class library project). But I can not find how to keep VS 2010 to make multiple copies of the file class. Obviously I do not want me having to modify all.
Old 31-10-2009

Re: Share single file for several projects without creating DLL

When you do "add existing item", does that recopy? Usually, I just did a project in these cases, so I created a DLL with all the benefits thereof. And why you do not want to create a DLL?
Old 31-10-2009

I have a Visual C++ 2005 with several projects. These projects have sources in common, that I added by "Add Existing Item". It is not a copy, I do not understand why in your case it makes a copy.

But this is not necessarily a good solution. I suggest you rather share your common sources via an additional project in your solution (do not have a "dll", just a simple lib), its still the best solution.
Old 31-10-2009

Thank you for your responses.

Quote:
And why you do not want to create a DLL?
Because the programs are distributed to special users a little. I therefore prefer to have a compact application that hold in a single file.

I confirm that on my installation, the add of an existing item is a copy of the source in the project.

Quote:
But this is not necessarily a good solution. I suggest you rather share your common sources via an additional project in your solution (do not have a "dll", just a simple lib), its still the best solution.
Yes that is what I would do it but I can not: the "class library" generates a DLL. Can not make it generate a static library. I work in C# and I do not know if it has an influence. Have you any idea?
Old 31-10-2009

In my opinion, yes, I have never seen a concept of "lib" in C#, its a concept of C++ only basically. If I am not mistaken, a lib is just what you need is some sort of DLL that is part of the project that needs it (so your DLL or EXE)

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,