Thread: LINUX Script/Command Issues

LINUX Script/Command Issues

Recently i had formatted my machine and had installed Linux on it. I don't know much about Linux, but i'm very much familiar with HTML. Even i don't know anything when it comes to knowing what "sh" Script means. I would like to know that how to run LINUX Script or command on my pc? Is there any free online/offline tutorial for LINUX Scripts and Commands? Any body have any idea about it? Please provide me the correct information on the above topic.

Re: LINUX Script/Command Issues

When in the command line, you are using a ''shell'' – most likely the bash shell. Use the man command (% man) to see how a command is used on your particular computer. agetty opens a tty port, prompts for a login name and invokes the /bin/login command.

Before you can use the system, you must identify yourself by logging in. The install program created a special user named root; by identifying yourself as the root user, you can gain access to the system. In a shell you can define a variable and set a value to it to be retrieved later. Here is an example of a variable named ORACLE_HOME:

# export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/11gR2/db1
    Later, you can refer to the variable by prefixing a ''$'' sign to the variable name, e.g.:

# cd $ORACLE_HOME
    This is called a user defined variable. Likewise, there are several variables defined in the shell itself.

When you use a command in Linux, it's either in a shell as you saw with the kill command in Part 4 or it's an executable file. Like other members of the Unix family, the Linux operating system is case sensitive. Be sure to type the userid root just as it appears, using all lowercase characters. If it's an executable, how do you know where is it located? Also, some Linux programs require you to type Ctrl-BACKSPACE, rather than BACKSPACE. If you press BACKSPACE and see ^H echoed to the console, try pressing Ctrl-BACKSPACE instead. Similarly, you must type the password exactly as you entered it in the Root Password dialog box during system installation.

if you give free download ebooks for linux that will better for learning linux

If you're just starting off with Linux for the first time, then you need to download numerous eBook which are available on the internet provided from JavaScript to PHP. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary provides a summary of useful command-line tools available to a GNU/Linux based operating system, the tools listed are designed to benefit the majority of users and have being chosen at the authors discretion. Whereas, C Programming in Linux will give you an interesting glimpse into a powerful lower-level world. C is tight and spare and economical, and in the current world climate people who know C will ensure critical systems keep running. A knowledge of C is now and has been for years a pre-requisite for serious software professionals and with the recent popularity and maturity of Open Systems this is even more true.