Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 28-10-2009

How to read the registry before .NET

It is quite common when developing in Windows to get together to make simple things that does not seems be possible. Read the frequency of the processor, read an item in the registry. But with the mechanism for recovering information on the Internet, the techniques of the past are often replaced, obscured by modern techniques.

I think these and other simple solutions but necessity .NET 1 2 3 ... etc. Yes, the solution often takes a few lines, but where the lib that comes with it is 40 MB and even in static, that is nag.

And I wonder how it was time for Windows 95-98 ...

The question brings me post on the registry. I would like to make a simple code that will be intended as a bootstrap, so I designed the 50-200 KB but will read the registry. And so I just wonder how you would do with Windows 98 to play a key.
Old 28-10-2009

Re: How to read the registry before .NET

Before .NET was used functions of the Win32 API, written mostly in C, including all click of functions RegXXX

So to play a key under Windows 98:
RegOpenKeyEx - to open the key
RegGetValue - to read
RegCloseKey - to close the key
Old 28-10-2009

Thank you very much for your response, I do not know what to look for on MSDN. The MSDN doc: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx. Windows XP shows minimum version, I wonder if they update their docs ignoring backward compatibility. You say it was compatible with Windows 98?
Old 28-10-2009

RegOpenKey, RegGetValue and RegCloseKey existed since Windows 95. RegOpenKeyEx came later. I do not know when exactly, but it works on Windows 98. RegOpenKeyEx function basically opens the specified key.

Syntax:

Quote:
LONG RegOpenKeyEx(
HKEY hKey,
LPCWSTR lpSubKey,
DWORD ulOptions,
REGSAM samDesired,
PHKEY phkResult
);
Old 29-10-2009
taiphanmem