Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 26-10-2009

Updating a field when another get updated

I am currently in my spear "triggers" (it is the first one I created). I have a table with three fields.

Table: Test
name of fields: id/visible/date

My goal is to create a trigger that when seen up to 1, it makes an update to date by inserting the current date.

Here is my wrong code:

Code:
DELIMITER ^
CREATE TRIGGER UPDATE AFTER UPDATE ON test FOR EACH ROW
begin
  IF (NEW.etat=='1') then NEW.date=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
  end IF;
end^
DELIMITER ;
Could any one of you help me?
Old 26-10-2009

Re: Updating a field when another get updated

May be because you want to identify your trigger "update" and it's not like that? If what you have in fact is wrong then is there any error message?
Old 26-10-2009

Thank you for your reply, I changed the name of the function "test". Same error: ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '== 1) then NEW.DATE=CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;
Old 26-10-2009

There is no parenthesis around the condition of the IF. There to CURRENT_TIMESTAMP I know (trying to use a function rather than the variable), I think the problem is mainly to be used "SET foo = foo" and not directly "foo = foo".

In addition if you want to change the NEW line, must be in your trigger BEFORE UPDATE and AFTER UPDATE not.

You would do well even when reading the doc of MySQL, because all these answers are there.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,