Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

The protocol is not associated with any program

Software Development

Old 10-10-2009

The protocol is not associated with any program

I am trying to make a link to an Access database which is located on my local drive C. To do this, I put the following code in my page:
HTML Code:
<a href="C:\\my.mdb">file</a>
then I get the following message:
Quote:
"the browser can not open this address because the protocol (C) is not associated with any program"
but when I put the database in the same file as the project's, it works. Where does the problem lies while linking to the Access database?

Old 10-10-2009

Re: The protocol is not associated with any program

Instead use url as like:
Quote:
file:///c:/my.mdb
and see if it works. Also make sure that your mdb file really is on C:?
Old 10-10-2009

Yes it is on my C drive. And I also tried the url of my file as file:/// ... and pasted into the address bar of my web browser, but it only displays a small window which asks me if I want to save the file my.mdb! But I don't want to do this. Instead I want to link my local drive C to an Access database. Is this possible?
Old 10-10-2009

Yeah, because if you want to access your webpage you must use http://. Its quite normal that no browser will default to authorize you to access links file://, its a huge security hole otherwise.

If you look at the error console of web browser, you should have an error:

Quote:
Security Error: Content at http://127.0.0.1/view-it/test.html may not load or link to file:///C:/Temp/Upload.txt.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,