Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009

Loading a configuration file

I have a pretty simple problem: I develop a DLL in C# that is used by several programs. This DLL must use a user configuration file serialized to disk. The problem is that for the moment each time a function needs a variable configuration, it serializes the file. I seek an easy way to load the configuration into memory once and for all and thus be able to access at will. What is the best method for loading a configuration file?
Old 06-10-2009

Re: Loading a configuration file

Did you tried to use a resource file (resx)? In VS, you can save your conf in a "resource file". This is an xml file (the extension is .resx). As technology is integrated with .Net, I guess maybe it runs better multiple access by several programs. Because your problem, I understand, is that your conf file should be serialized and deserialized at each access for the correct version, which is heavy.
Old 06-10-2009

I do not understand your stories of serialization. If you trigger a disk access each time you access a parameter and you deserialize your file every time it's a matter of implementation, the file format and where there is nothing to see. You can certainly read the serialized file to launch the program and loaded into memory once and for all values therein.
Old 06-10-2009

First make sure that .NET account has Full Read/Write Access to the root as well as check that the web.config is not in readOnly mode. Now just follow the below steps to load a configuration file:

1. In the Choose an installation option pane, click Load Configuration. This option is located under Custom Components.
2. In the Open dialog box, select or browse to the Setup configuration file that you want to open.
3. Double-click to choose the file.
4. Setup now shows the Customize the installation page. You can further modify the list of components to install, or click Next to proceed to the Specify parameters pane, where you can further configure settings for one or more components.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , , ,