Thread: How is DataSet.xsd used in any particular website

How is DataSet.xsd used in any particular website

I use Visual studio datasets to create table adapters etc. for queries. This normally works fine for me with 'simple' queries (i.e. only 1 parameter of type string, int ...). I am looking at the club web site now and I do not understand how do they use the datasets to their web site.

Re: How is DataSet.xsd used in any particular website

You need to use Typed DataSets for this, you can add new typed dataset to your project, right click project New Item and select (Typed)Dataset. The main advantage of putting multiple tables in one XSD is to take advantage of parent-child relationships. When I use datasets (and I don't much anymore) I typically group my data into logical groups of about 5-6 tables (not a hard limit) and go from there. A typed DataSet is not a built-in member of the .NET Framework. As you will discover, it is a generated class that inherits directly from the DataSet class.

Strongly typed DataSets are merely generic DataSets that have their columns and tables defined in advance, so the compiler already knows what they will contain. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish with your query, Any larger classes and it makes the data less portable since you end up with a lot of tables that aren't always necessary.Each version of Visual Studio has made the process of strongly typing a DataSet easier, and Visual Studio 2005.

If you have used DataSet Typed then you would have <custom>.xsd. but it sounds to me like you can use a subquery. Can you explain what format your table has and what output do you expect? In your case DataSet.xsd. It is very useful to Crystal Reports and other stuffs. I either use an OR Mapper like Wilson OR Mapper or NHibernate, or I use the new LINQ-to-SQL feature of .NET 3.5 (visual Studio 2008).