Thread: How to manage Parameterized Queries in MySQL

How to manage Parameterized Queries in MySQL

I'm using MySQL with the MyODBC driver. But MySQL is tricky, it doesn't support named parameters, so you have to use a question mark and add parameters in the right order. To connect to MySQL database you can use the System.Data.Odbc namespace in .net. If I remove them and just explicitly put in the data I'm looking for the datareader works, however doing as I have below returns no results in the datareader.

Re: How to manage Parameterized Queries in MySQL

If your database is so poor that it doesn't support parameterized queries, You should look into using the ByteFX MySQL library. It's a native MySQL interface for .NET, so you don't have to use ODBC or ODBC drivers. you might want to build your own format() style function that replaces $values in your query.That seems to be working earlier in your code. Are you sure there is a value to read there (i.e. is your query returning 0 rows or null or something else that can't be converted to a string?)

Looks like that procedure works fine on the line account1Name = r.GetValue(0).ToString();. Maybe you want to check the return value of r.Read() to see if there are any rows first. You should look into using the ByteFX MySQL library. It's a native MySQL interface for .NET, so you don't have to use ODBC or ODBC drivers.

Coming from SQL Server and Oracle, It looks like you're trying to get a single value out of a query. You might want to look into the ExecuteScalar() method instead of ExecuteReader(). I was so used to using named parameters that I totally forgot the questionmark approach. This being my first MySQL project, I was about to knock my head through the wall wondering why that database wasn't accepting my update statements.