Thread: How to compare recordsets in access vba

How to compare recordsets in access vba

I am trying to create a report that uses a public varible to update the reports recordset. I have 2 tables, parent categories and child categories relating to products for an online shop. But, at runtime the report opens as if there is no recordset. What am I doing wrong?

Re: How to compare recordsets in access vba

The Recordset property returns the recordset object that provides the data being browsed in a form, report, list box control, or combo box control. There are different types of DAO recordset, with different methods. When you OpenRecordset() on a query or attached table, Access defaults to a Dynaset type (dbOpenDynaset). When you OpenRecordset() on a local table, it defaults to a Table type (dbOpenTable.)If a form is based on a query, for example, referring to the Recordset property is the equivalent of cloning a Recordset object by using the same query.

Changing a form's Recordset property may also change the RecordSource, RecordsetType, and RecordLocks properties. For recordsets based on queries, SQL statements, and attached tables, the RecordCount property returns the number of records accessed so far. Also, some data-related properties may be overridden, for example, the Filter, FilterOn, OrderBy, and OrderByOn properties.

I know how to do it in queries, but I think I need to use VBA because i am firstly using user selected fields, When you first OpenRecordset(), Access grabs the first record, and keeps processing your code while the others load. So, if you test RecordCount immediately after you OpenRecordset, you typically get 0 (from a form) and secondly, I am not checking for duplicates, I am basically going through a list of transactions to find any returns.